When I set out to lose weight over five years ago, one of my strategies to keep me mentally on track throughout the day and prevent afternoon vending machine binges was to write out a different quote for each day of the week on a piece of paper that I kept with me at all times. Anytime I felt the urge to get up for a vending machine break at my job, especially around 2 p.m., I read my quote and most of the time it was enough to keep me from going off track that day.
I decided to use a different quote each day because I didn’t want to become immune to the inspirational effects of reading the same quote over and over everyday. Also, there are so many inspiring quotes out there, who can choose just one? I rotated through about seven to ten quotes that made me want to lose weight more than I wanted to eat a chocolate bar for a period of about two months.
Collecting & Storing Quotes
I collect quotes from random places. I first experienced the joy of quotes in high school, when my best friend started writing down quotes. Ever since then, I have dreamed of creating an organized collection of quotes that have inspired me to refer back to. Currently I have a notebook in Evernote that isn’t very organized, but is my go-to place for storing quotes.
There are so many times I come across an inspiring quote on a TV show, TV commercial, movie, or even a billboard. I try to get them down in the moment, otherwise it is hard to go back to the middle of a movie to capture the inspiring words. I also try to write down quote originals from people in my personal life when someone says something particularly inspiring or memorable.
The Power of Quotes
The right quote can have the power to, at a moment’s notice, pull you back on the track of the more disciplined version of yourself you envisioned on Sunday night when you were planning out your future. You know, the thin, glowing, happy version of yourself. Her.
Choose quotes because when you read them, they make you say “Yeah! I can do this!” and want to jump up in the air and get out there working on your dream. At different times different quotes may strike just the right way to change the whole feel of the day. One I heard the other day that brought me up from a discouraged mood:
“If it was easy, everyone would do it.” – Jonathan Roche
I scroll through quote images quite often, and sometimes even the most inspiring and motivating quotes don’t do a thing for me. Other times, they are just what I need to get back on track. Some quotes seem too cliché to me at times, and my motivating quotes might seem cliché to other people. We each get to choose what makes us feel motivated, and then use it to our own advantage to become better.
A Quote for Each Day of the Week
Whatever your dream is, find quotes that help you maintain a laser focus on your vision in moments of doubt or weakness. The quotes might be very specifically tailored to your situation, or they could be general but feel meaningful to your personal dream.
Pick a quote from the list below or another quote that makes you feel like you can do anything. Carry it with you throughout your day and read it to yourself in the moments that you feel like giving in or giving up. You might choose to carry the same quote everyday or a different quote for each day of the week. Either way, give it a try and see how it works for you!
- “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” ― E.E. Cummings
- “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” ― Henry David Thoreau
- “The world needs you. The world needs more dreamers. If anything is a sin, hiding your light is. If anything is a crime, it is not flying.” ― Reclaim Your Dreams by Jonathan Mead
- “Whatever excuses you have now, drop them. Realize that you are not just a product of your environment. Your environment is a product of you.” ― Reclaim Your Dreams by Jonathan Mead
- Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.” ― Earl Nightingale
- “Life is like a combination lock; your job is to find the right numbers, in the right order, so you can have anything you want.” ― Brian Tracy
“Your only purpose is to be as you as you can be and to shine your light as bright as you can.” ― Anita Moorjani
“It’s not if. It’s when.” ― saw on a billboard on highway going from San Jose to San Francisco
- “The fear of suffering is worse than suffering itself. And no heart ever suffered when it went in search of its dreams.” ― The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
Do you have a favorite inspiring quote? We would love to hear a few more. Please share your thoughts below! Namaste!
image credit: wallpaperswide